Forums » Off Topic

D&D, Lovecraft, and DMT trips.

• 6 posts
    May 11, 2017 1:06 AM EDT
    Hey guys, for those who don't know me (which is everyone) my name is Andrew. I'm 20 and I'm a pretty big nerd.

Grew up playing D&D 1st, 2nd, a bit of 3rd, a bit of 4th, and lots of 5th ed. I also grew up reading a lot of H.P. Lovecraft short stories and novels so I love cosmic horror.

Recently, I started smoking weed with a friend (this is actually relevant to the topic) and I don't remember what strain of weed it is but it has been a very relaxing few experiences. Other friends of mine have told me of strange trips they've had and that they experimented with other strains and laced weed. For the longest time, I have wondered what bad trips/out-of-this-world realistic experiences are like so I started looking up info and I have run into several youtube videos detailing strange DMT trips people had. This got me thinking about many parallels between bad trips and Cosmic Horror.

Back to D&D. I have been working on a horror-themed D&D campaign for my friends and it was originally going to be a 100% homebrew campaign setting. Sadly, I don't have the time anymore to create the setting so I am instead using Waterdeep as the setting. Thanks to these DMT bad trip stories, I have a lot of inspiration on horrible things to add so if anyone is interested in fighting drug-using cultists that worship demonic constructs from space then let me know. Otherwise feel free to talk about D&D, Lovecraft, DMT, or anything else within these topics. I'd love to chat below about all of these things.
    • 3 posts
    May 11, 2017 1:33 PM EDT
    What exactly do you mean by horror themed dnd? Ive always wondered if or how the dm could add jumpscares to a story ...i mean it wont work. Just asking cuz it seems like you might know ...since youre DMing a horror campaign. ...Otherwise nevermind xD
    • 6 posts
    May 12, 2017 2:42 AM EDT
    [blockquote]Gh0st said:
    What exactly do you mean by horror themed dnd? Ive always wondered if or how the dm could add jumpscares to a story ...i mean it wont work. Just asking cuz it seems like you might know ...since youre DMing a horror campaign. ...Otherwise nevermind xD [/blockquote]

Cosmic horror is FAR from jump-scares. It's about insanity. Seeing the very primordial soup of the universe, no. Of reality, manifested into a single formless creature that devours dark matter itself. A creature that can withstand black holes, nuclear radiation, anything. A creature so unstoppable, all you can do is either run or fall victim to its madness-inducing effects. That is the charm in cosmic horror (AKA, Lovecraftian Horror (AKA Cthulhu and friends))
    • 8 posts
    May 12, 2017 8:03 AM EDT
    I grew up playing a lot of D&D playing with the 1st and 2nd edition. I also enjoyed games such as Baldur's Gate
    This post was edited by MiloisRawr at May 12, 2017 8:03 AM EDT
    • 3 posts
    May 12, 2017 8:42 AM EDT
    [blockquote]Grimm said:

Cosmic horror is FAR from jump-scares. It's about insanity. Seeing the very primordial soup of the universe, no. Of reality, manifested into a single formless creature that devours dark matter itself. A creature that can withstand black holes, nuclear radiation, anything. A creature so unstoppable, all you can do is either run or fall victim to its madness-inducing effects. That is the charm in cosmic horror (AKA, Lovecraftian Horror (AKA Cthulhu and friends))[/blockquote]

Yeah thought so
    • 8 posts
    May 12, 2017 8:55 AM EDT
    Also I'm a big fan of some classic horror stories such as Interview with a vampire from Anne Rice and The Portrait of Dorian Gray
    • 40 posts
    May 13, 2017 2:21 PM EDT
    Ah, so you're a Lovecraft fan too? I certainly am starting to like you already
    • 16 posts
    May 14, 2017 2:33 PM EDT
    I personally love 3.5 mostly because I can stack my characters really well in that edition but 5 is pretty good too! One of my favorite characters is a sentient construct who has not failed me yet. Also HP Lovecraft the original horror god. Love him
    • 8 posts
    May 14, 2017 2:41 PM EDT
    2nd edition of D&D was the best for me I grew up with it but 3rd one was awesome, the following one were meh
    • 8 posts
    May 15, 2017 10:12 AM EDT
    I just want to make an online party and play Baldur's Gate 2 and Neverwinter Night. Nostalgia